Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Where to get the right support?

I wrote this message only after 6 months of experience in running the IAC HK Chapter. let me gather my mind to answer this question.

I found the support came from people than the system. I found IAC gives quite a free hands to the Chapter host to run their local chapter which I believe they respect our knowledge on local needs and culture. Whenever, I have any questions, I could freely contact with the Chapter Leader, Kerru and exchange views with her.

Moreover, I found the attendants to the HK Chapter indeed have given the most support and power to the Chapter. Some come periodically while the others only drop by for a look and never come back. It is always crucial that being a host, I have to tell myself that the Chapter only attracts people when our goal and purpose are aligned. I do not need to be everyone for everything. This well settle down my ego thoughts.

However, I found there is one thing very helpful and useful to me so far - which is before I kick off the chapter, I clearly define the culture that I would like to see happening in the Chapter. Since I have been members of many other voluntary or paid membership organizations, many people come and thought of being served. From the beginning, I told all the attendants that everyone come here is for "Contributing as their Recipical". Since our simple structure, we do not set up an gentle reminder system for all the upcoming meetings, interested party has to check the Chapter Blog by themselves. We fixed the place and time for meeting without change. I commit to myself that even nobody will come, I still be there. Fortunately, this never happened to me.

Now, some of the regular attendants are spreading the words for the meeting at their own initiative. Of course, there are lots of appreciation to them and their passions motives me. They gave me suggestions on how the running could be better and more effective. We put thoughts together to find next suitable venue at cheaper cost.

Well, if you ask me "How much effort you have to spend for hosting a Chapter?" I would answer you that, "Please ask me how much I benefit and appreciate the blessing of being an IAC local chapter host?" The support comes by itself as we are like-minded people with same purpose and goal in coaching.

No comments: